History of the Range Rover
The Land Rover Range Rover immediately changed the game when first it roared onto the roads and trails. Never before had an SUV combined strength, capability, durability, and luxury together in such a seamless way. It immediately set the gold standard for upscale, off-road-ready vehicles, and it has maintained that peak position ever since. It’s been making a mark since 1966, and we want to detail some highlights of the history that make the latest Land Rover Range Rover a top choice for our Mobile, AL drivers.
Building the Modern Luxury SUV
For over 50 years, this vehicle has shown drivers and automakers what a true luxury SUV should look like.
- 1966 – Designs for the first Range Rover prototype begin taking shape. The project is originally known as the “100-inch station wagon”.
- 1970 – The very first Range Rover model, a two-door SUV known as The Classic, goes on sale.
- 1974 – The Range Rover proves its exceptional capabilities by driving 7,500 miles across the Sahara Desert in just 100 days.
- 1981 – The first four-door configuration of the Range Rover goes into production. The first special-edition Ranger Rover, the “In Vogue”, is also released (not to be confused with the modern Range Rover Evoque).
- 1987 – Range Rover is first on sale in North America, satisfying the demands of eager drivers looking for something more from an SUV.
- 1992 – The Range Rover Classic is equipped with electronic traction control becoming the first 4×4 model to utilize this technology.
- 1996 – The Range Rover Classic model ends its run after selling 317,615 units overall, an impressive figure for a vehicle with a very specific target audience.
- 2005 – The Range Rover Sport is introduced, giving the vehicle a slightly smaller footprint and a more nimble and agile feel.
- 2006 – The Terrain Response feature is first introduced, empowering drivers to fine-tune performance based on terrain conditions. This feature is still standard on Range Rover models.
- 2011 – The Range Rover Evoque goes on sale for the first time. The model offers the performance and style of Range Rover at a price point that is accessible to more drivers.
Discover the Legacy Firsthand
The Range Rover legacy continues at Land Rover of Gulf Coast. Visit us from Fairhope or Destin to check out all of the current models. If you would like to schedule a test drive in advance or speak with a Range Rover expert, please contact us today. We can’t wait to hear from you. Want to learn about some of our favorite Lan Rover technology features? Learn about our favorite apps available with Land Rover InControl!
0 comment(s) so far on History of the Range Rover